some things are better left unexplained.

The number of unmatched socks in this sock drawer is: 0. Add your own sock.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Monday, April 01, 2013

Hacer Punto, Conjugation of the Verb "to knit"



She turns to me, beside her on the couch.
“Sixteen times three plus… two.
Hold up your fist, – two fists.”
She wraps a strand of yarn around them.
How big is a baby’s head?”

She is knitting a gift
Always one of a kind.
Always for someone
because she will not knit for herself.
She used to make her father
thick wool socks.
He wore them threadbare
til the wool was all felted.
Nights on the couch she looped yarn over needle
muttering

Slip two, knit one
Knit two, purl one.

Like a third generation immigrant,
I know these words uttered often in my home
but I will never speak the language
of "casting-on" and "binding off"

After the funeral,
she gave me a pair
of her father's socks.
My feet were the same size,
but it is strange to wear a sonnet
penned for someone else.
There is more than yarn
in the patterns of block and cable.
Each loop and stitch bind tight
a sliver of endearment,
a shared memory,
the heartfelt gift of time.

She has made me two sweaters,
size: big.
Each took her an eternity.
I watched love grow from a little thing to a cardigan,
from skeins she made me stretch from hand to hand
so she could pull the string and ball them tight.

She knits and purls a warm embrace into every garment
the gentle sound of kisses,
slip two
the smell of grilled cheese,
knit one
the warmth of chocolate chip cookies
sliding fresh off the spatula.
knit two, purl two.
It is remarkable how a fabric so porous
Can be so warm.

the hats they always outgrew before spring,
the socks she slipped quietly into my Christmas stocking,
the ones she'd knitted in secret all December
on poetry nights and in spare moments at work.

What I will remember most
are the mistakes,
the moments when she knew
she had dropped stitches too quickly,
that the hat would not fit.
They use the term "unraveling"
to describe the slow descent in to madness.
I watched her work for hours
slip and knit,
knit and purl
only to shake her head,
pluck the needles from their berths
and pull the lead, calm and content to start over.
Stitches dissolving in front of her by the dozen,
whole rows in seconds
order to disorder.
Then cast on again.
Each twist and loop embodying the affection,
perseverance and compassion
the knowing how much I am loved
that will leech into the skin
as many times as I wear these socks.

She does not tell me how many time she started over,
that she tried a new way to turn the heel
that didn't work like she wanted,
that she dropped an extra stitch on the left one
as though I would have even noticed.
She hopes I like them

I do not appreciate her in the way that I should.
I knit her the occasional stanza,
purl lines about our children
that nudge tears across cheekbones
but these are not epic, and too often
I read them to strangers before
sharing them quietly with her in the living room.
They will never come out the way I imagine.
I am forever dropping stitches
and can never find the right way
to turn the heel.
My stitches always bear the squeak of old doors
and smell like the basement and unfolded laundry
I don't know how she does it.
She tells me she doesn't mind the imperfections.
Later, she will politely correct me on the details.
Apparently the phrase is "purl two together"
and it can be done through front loop or back loop.
I should really have specified.
I can stare at the things she knits for hours
and never see the flaws.
To me, they all just feel like the softness of her hands.
The patterns make sense,
like there was no other way it could have been done.
In lonely moments when I am not with her,
I hold them to my face, breathe in the soft sigh of familiar.
Hot chocolate and baby powder,
Snowball fights and sunny days.
I hear her smiling in the rustle of soft yarn.
I am always home.

Your blog is better than my blog.