some things are better left unexplained.

The number of unmatched socks in this sock drawer is: 0. Add your own sock.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Friday, November 02, 2012

64/365 More Than Waiting


They pointed fingers
Called me Virgin
As though I'd done something filthy
As though I'd done anything at all
By not    
doing
As though at thirteen
I should have had a girlfriend
And known how to talk about her body
Like she was a baseball diamond
And I had any athletic aptitude whatsoever.
As though at fourteen 
I should have been mature enough
to identify my true soul mate
in the time it took Stairway to Heaven to play at the Elks Club dance
As though I should have been as ready and willing
as I was impulsive and naive.
To tempt fate, live for the moment,
For just a moment
Taunt procreation from the inside of a latex condom
I didn’t.
It wasn't that I didn't look forward 
to finally having sex for the first time
I just needed it to be perfect
To have the certainty of no regrets
Intimacy is too precious a love note
To be published as a rough draft.
So, I waited.
At thirty, 
My abstinence was a conversation reserved
For those few friends I most trusted
And those few girls who I knew would stay.
There was a day
When purity was honored.

I never meant to be noble.
Just to love someone, someday
In a way that meant something new and more
And not just the samedifferent
For “one and only” to mean ONE,
And ONLY.

When a thirty-one year old virgin has sex for the first time
On the perfect day
In the perfect place
Floor littered with rose petals, a bow tie, and something borrowed and blue
It is amazing
How it is still first-time awkward
But also the best they have ever had.

Let me tell you about commitment,
The comfort of certainty,
The assurance of looking only forward
With no past to look back upon
Of waking up in the morning to say
“I waited my whole life, for you.”
And we will laugh about the rose petals
For as long as we
Both shall live
And we will know love,
Without waiting.






Your blog is better than my blog.