some things are better left unexplained.

The number of unmatched socks in this sock drawer is: 0. Add your own sock.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Friday, March 19, 2010

TEN

When your friend enticed you to join them this evening with the promise of a “poetry slam,” they said it like it was a good thing.
Naturally, you wondered to yourself, “What exactly is a poetry slam?” but then, not wanting to let on you didn’t know, naïvely said of course you’d join them, because those things are awesome, right? At least they sound like it.
And when the Colonel asked, “Who has never been to a poetry slam before?” he said it like it was no big deal. And you, naively, raised a sheepish hand, believing that would be the end of your participation for the night.
And suddenly you find yourself, whiteboard in hand, trying to figure out on the fly how to judge a poetry slam.

We’ve all been there. That’s why, tonight, we’re making you do it.
But Judges, don’t worry, I’ll make this one easy on you.
This poem - Is a TEN.
Each element laid out like a street map
Where all roads lead to TEN.

No doubt you’ve figured out by now
that rhyme is not required, although a little alliteration is always allowable, and it never hurts to add little flourish, maybe cap it off with a couplet for good measure.

With a ten, the poet identifies and connects with his audience. I didn’t write this with you in mind. I wrote it JUST FOR YOU. Now be honest, when was the last time a complete stranger (Who wasn’t stalking you) wrote you any poem at all? TEN.

A TEN crafts cadence and pauses
Smooth or choppy, these are the tracks guiding this rollercoaster from the lump in your throat to the pit of your stomach. But you know even in those first moments you’ll want to ride it again, because it keeps
Stirring memories.
A summer day in 1984.
First one into the house when we got home from shopping.
I had my own key.
Time to take the dog out, but she didn’t greet me at the door.
I found her in the basement.
Lying in a puddle.
She wouldn’t wake up when I called her. She was cold.
My dog was only two years old.
I? I was TEN.

But a TEN will never leave you
In the basement.
No, It comes alongside you in your empathy,
puts a nice, warm metaphor around your shoulders,
and points you hopefully upward with a simile like the best friend you never knew.
It will never tell you that simile is a metaphor, though it may tell you a simile is like a metaphor. TEN

You know a TEN when you hear it, because you can laugh along at the inside jokes even when you have no idea what they are about. The same way you feel completely comfortable calling Marc “the Colonel” though you’ve spent the whole night asking yourself, “What exactly is he the Colonel OF? Because I wasn’t paying attention.”
See what I mean? TEN

And when the people around you are all shouting out the words to a brand new poem you know it’s a TEN ‘cause it’s
Just That Good.
I know you’ll do fine; next time you invite your friend to a poetry slam, Remember: don’t tell them what they’re in for.
And now judges before you suspect I’ve messed up let
Me remind you this TEN ends with a rhyming coup-let.

Your blog is better than my blog.