some things are better left unexplained.

The number of unmatched socks in this sock drawer is: 0. Add your own sock.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Friday, April 01, 2011

1.5/30 Dredged Up Melody (Sestina)


Sestina for a Dredged up Melody

I came down here fully intent
on purging one more storage box
of all its old junk and failed again.
This worn cassette, the "Eros/Pathos Mix"
Someone made just for me, saying, "Listen,
I love you..." I am vague on the context.

And it's all about context
Not merely content. Mix tapes declare intent,
but you must know how to listen
unpack them like dream meanings, like Pandora's box
Mix tapes are made when our own words are too simple, a mix
of poor diction and things we can never take back again.

I was always taking her back, again.
That was surely the context.
We were an unsustainable mix
of selfless friendship and narcissistic intent.
More pathos than eros, the cassette box
title spoke wisdom in volumes. Our denial did not listen.

Side A, Side B. I am tempted to listen
unearth that yellow Walkman again
dust off the old boom box
hear the wrong kind of love, out of context.
I came down here to clean house. Never intent
on stirring pots. Oil and water still will not mix.

I remember these songs, a mix
of college bands we'd listen
to only on road trips, intent
on enjoying ourselves, always falling out again
just when things got good. Same issue, different context.
Rats in a labyrinth, we were never leaving the box.

I can't sort through this box.
Trash, treasure, and sentiment: Good mix
tapes are scaffolded architecture. Same junk, same boxes, new context
for souvenirs of a self I do not miss. I can not listen
to nostalgia pangs; vowed never to heed again
that atonement and endearment she recorded with structured intent.

I'd hear overtone context, read lines outside the box.
I would know their intent. She crafts a good mix
tape. I can never listen to those songs again.

Your blog is better than my blog.